01 May 2013

10 difficult things


We all have things we have a desire to do but consistently struggle to do them.  At least, I have this problem.  I'm certain I could create a laundry list.  I'll just stick to 10 for now.

1. Praying aloud in front of others.
-- Honestly, I don't comprehend the major issue here.  Yes, it is a personal conversation between God and I, however, praying aloud is an amazing way to touch the lives of others.  But, for some reason, I still find it intimidating. It's as though my prayers don't "sound as good" as the next persons. What I have to remind myself of is a prayer from your heart is what's important. God doesn't mind what it sounds like or if we stumble over our words. The best prayer is an unrehearsed one.
2. Forgiveness
-- I even wrote a message on this.  Isn't it so fun to be angry and go through possible conversations in your head over something that makes you furious? Totally.  But, the feeling of forgiving someone and not having to worry about it anymore is immensely more rewarding.  A reminder I give myself for this is - satan loves for us to revel in our anger, he helps us create hurtful and hateful things to say and gives us a list of reasons to be angry.  He wants us to stay angry at all costs because that means he's winning. 
3. Venting to someone when you're angry with another person.
-- Guilty. Guilty. Guilty. I am terrible with this. The moment something gets me irritated I want to tell my spouse or my mother. The problem isn't so much the venting, we all need to on occasion. The issue is - if you're constantly doing this - it might make you feel better but you're bringing someone else down with your negative attitude.  Choose your battles. Wise words.
4.  Respond like a Christian.
 -- Is anyone else seeing a theme here for me? Apparently I have anger issues.  It feels so good to get a good "jab" in when you're arguing with someone. But, when I respond how I know I should I feel good in a much different and better way. I feel like I've made my Heavenly Father proud.
5. Staying close with God - all the time.
-- I don't like those times I come off of a spiritual high. I could write an entire message on this. I stop leading by example and I find myself getting further and further from God.  Having a relationship with God is like having one with anyone else. You have to spend time with Him and nurture the relationship and help it grow. We cannot expect to sit around and be close to God, we have to make an effort. Sometimes I forget that and expect God to do all the work.
6. Giving my problems to God.
-- I suppose you could lump this with venting to others.  When you're in crisis, where do you go? I desperately need to learn to lean on God instead of those he has put in my life.  We have people who love us for a purpose but God is our number one and He should be the one we call on first in distress....not as a last resort when no one else is available.  Although, I have been in places where God has left me no choice but to lean on Him. I'm grateful for those moments.  Those are glorious, honest moments with God. When you cry out in prayer for help, when you feel you have no one and nothing.
7. Take up my cross daily.
-- I'm always telling myself I will read my bible today and I always find something else to do and tell myself I will read after. Technology takes my time from Christ and for this reason I have decided to not have cable and to limit access to the internet.  But, it's difficult to follow through on. My new motto is to stop trying to do what I need and JUST DO IT!
8. Giving advice I should take myself.
-- Well, this is pretty self explanatory. I love to give advice and often have practical problem solving skills and an eye for resolutions...But, not always in my own life.  I over analyze my own issues and don't allow myself to see the simple solution.
9.  Follow through
-- I have great ideas for myself and my life but I don't always take it to the end. An example would be this blog. I thought it would be a phenomenal idea to start one and maybe I can help or inspire others, and look how often I write.
10.  Allowing the judgements others have of me - affect my self view.
-- This is the worst for me. When someone says something negative about me, I feel the need to defend my honor.  Though I realize in my mind their opinion is not the end of the world - it's difficult to brush it off and not wonder if there is some truth in what they are saying.  We should learn our faults from God, not those who do not like us.


This is not even half the things I struggle with or things I fail at (that's a whole entire list of it's own).  The only way I can change them is to ask God to show me and then take them one at a time, one day at a time. It's a slow progression but I have this inkling it will be worth it in the end.













-T

0 comments: