06 February 2013

Christian does NOT equal perfection.

The thing about being Christian doesn't mean we're the perfect example of everything that is good, or a representation of God's love 100% of the time. We're just privy to a very important fact - that perfection is NOT a requirement to call yourself Christian. In fact, there are no "requirements" per say.  There is nothing we could ever do to be worthy of the title.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


I thought now would be an appropriate time as any to share one of many things I struggle with.  Loving regardless of reaction. I could apply this to any relationship, either as me being the person reacting negatively to love or being negatively reacted to or some where in the middle.

No one can deny it feels good to let your anger out - but don't you always feel guilty after? I do. Responding to every situation out of love is EXTREMELY difficult sometimes (impossible without God) - but don't you always feel good after? Which sounds better? A little hesitation and maybe begrudgingly at first but the end result is awesome.
God calls us to love one another as He has loved us...Think about that for a minute, just let it sink in.
This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Jn 15:12
God loves those who love Him and those who reject Him repeatedly.
He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own and His own did not receive Him. Jn 1:10-11
He [Jesus] is despised and rejected by men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief, and we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem him. Isaiah 53:3
He also wants us to forgive freely. Forgive others as I have also forgiven you...
Bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you almost must do. Col 3:13
And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. Eph 4:32
The point is even if you respond out of love people don't always reciprocate but it doesn't matter because we should still continue to react out of love and forgive them regardless of an apology. We'll be on the other side sometimes and I know l hope they'll show me grace.

Just a reminder that I write these things for myself and anyone else who can apply it to their life. So, this is what I'm learning right now - it in no way means I'm good at it....I fall short on a weekly basis if not more frequently.
God put it on my heart THROUGH two people (how about that?) I haven't been acting the way He's commanded us and now I'm just sharing that revelation.


Something else I've been mulling over...

I used to think it was a character flaw to have an adaptive personality. Meaning, around people who swear I tend to do it, if I surround myself with gossips I tend to do it.  It's not applicable to all personality traits but it applies to enough that it's time to pay closer attention to the people I let in my life. The reason I no longer feel it's a character flaw is because the bible tells us Do not be misled, bad company corrupts good character.  1 Co 15:33. It's not a free pass to act a certain way and then blame it on others, we're in control of our choices... But it makes it a much more difficult choice when everyone else is doing it and making it seem like there "might not be any harm" in it.  I believe this entire situation is what God was partially referring to when He said He wants us to surround ourselves with like minded people; to not be unequally yolked. (2 Co 6:14)

Don't feel badly about choosing friends wisely and letting go of ones who negatively influence you.  If you have a friend who impacts your life negatively - talk to them and if nothing changes maybe it's time to reconsider the friendship. I don't mean a person who is going through a rough time either...



We can be forgiving without having to subject ourselves to an unsupportive or even emotionally abusive relationship.
Then Peter came to Him and said, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven." Mat 18:21-22 We have to be forgiving- we don't have to be doormats. Only you can decide where the line is.




(Thank you Chuck! for helping me get videos right into my blog!


-T

2 comments:

Chuck Balsamo said...

Outstanding post! This kind of heart can change the world. I love the way you write with such transparency.

Also, I don't know much about blogger... but you can embed your videos so that they have video players in the post. Here are the instructions... http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=80767

Happy day!!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your encouraging comment. I have you to thank for this post, actually. A friend of my family's planted the seed of this for me back in September and God definitely gave the increase through your post.

Also thank you for the link! I really wanted to post it right in my blog but couldn't figure it out. I appreciate that!